Interested in the panda internship program?
To meet worldwide panda enthusiasts and students' study needs, we have developed an international internship program. If you are a panda lover, want to get closer to them, and care for them, then this is the program for you. During the experience, you will learn about giant pandas and conservation. You will also learn how to conduct behavioral scientific research on giant and red pandas. Not only will you work like a member of the Research Base staff, you may also go into the wild where giant pandas live if you like!
Eligibility: Adults 18 and up (Kids must be accompanied by adult)
Length: One day to three months
International Panda Internship Program Plan
- 8:30-8:40 Check in, grouping, and deliver materials
- 8:40-10:00 Brief training, introduction to the Research Base and safety rules, and tour Research Base to learn more about giant panda and the Base (with one of our trained staff or experts)
- 10:00-10:30 Watch giant panda films
- 10:30-11:30 Visit Giant Panda Discovery Center
- 13:30-14:30 Visit the Giant Panda enclosure and experience the keeper's life.
- 14:30-15:30 Learn the method of the animal behavior data collection, and collect
- 15:30-16:00 Group photo with the Base staff, presents, and farewell
Panda Internship Work May Include:
- Feeding your panda (fresh bamboo, apple, special biscuit and/or vegetables)
- Clean panda enclosure ( to give the panda a clean and comfortable place)
- Weigh your panda's feces (This is one of the most effective ways to know the health of a panda)
- Clean bamboo (It is important to give pandas clean food)
- Clean your panda (Rinse your panda with cool water and see how much they enjoy it, but just in summer)
- Weigh fresh bamboo (It is important to know how much is offered to pandas, how much they consume, and the weight of their feces. Proper bamboo consumption is critical to the health of pandas)
- Weigh the bamboo after panda eats (To know how much they have eaten)
- Give an ice block to your panda (This helps them to stay cool in summer, and they love them!)
Panda Behavior Research Work Include:
- If staying 3 days, you can also have the opportunity to become a panda behavior researcher. Learn how scientists collect data to better understand the minds and needs of giant pandas. Develop a research question, collect your own data and analyze the collected data to write the report.
- Visit and publish articles on our website at the Scientific and Technical Department to let more people better understand giant panda and how to protect them
- Communication with giant panda experts and educators at the Base
All activities above can be flexible with different participants, group size, time and other factors. We also can design more colorful activities according to your requirements.
Interested in this program?